New York Super Lawyers (Upstate)
Each year, Super Lawyers conducts a statewide survey of lawyers. Lawyers eligible to participate include those who have been in practice for at least five years. This year, more than 800,000 lawyers nationwide were invited to participate in the survey. We ask the lawyers to nominate the best attorneys they've personally observed in action. Super Lawyers research department then examines the background and experience of each candidate nominated -- searching for evidence of peer recognition and professional achievement. Factors considered in evaluating candidates include:
- Verdicts and settlements;
- Representative Clients;
- Honors and awards;
- Special licenses and certifications;
- Position within law firm;
- Bar and other professional activity;
- Pro bono and community service;
- Scholarly lectures and writings;
- Education and employment background; and
- Other outstanding achievement.
Candidates are then grouped and those with the highest scores are selected for inclusion in the directory. Only 5% of the total lawyers in a state are selected.
Attorneys under 40 who are not selected for Super Lawyers are considered for the Rising Stars selection process. No more than 2.5% of lawyers are named to Rising Stars.