You have heard of medical malpractice facts and statistics from the patient’s point-of-view, but how do things look from the other side of the fence? Whether you are a doctor or not, knowing how things stand from a medical perspective is important. Here are ten statistics that everyone should be aware of.
1. Among doctors aged 55 and older, more than 61 percent have been sued at least once for medical malpractice.
2. Doctors involved with medical malpractice lawsuits are most likely to be sued for a failure to diagnose.
3. When it comes to doctors most likely to be sued, the award goes to OB/GYNs and general surgeons.
4. If you are looking for those least likely to be sued, look at pediatricians and psychiatrists.
5. Female patients are more likely to have been awarded a medical malpractice payout.
6. The highest number of payouts go to patients aged 40 to 59.
7. The lowest number of payouts go to patients aged 80 and older.
8. Medical professionals are more likely to win a medical malpractice lawsuit than patients.
9. The highest number of payouts for medical malpractice are due to settlements and not judgments.
10. There are five states that have the highest rates of payout: California, Florida, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York.
Medical malpractice lawsuits are often thought to be frivolous and without merit. The fact is that very few suits are frivolous, as attorneys do not want to waste their time or that of their clients. The fact of the matter is that very few people file medical malpractice claims because it can be a difficult thing to prove. Winning a lawsuit is not as easy as proving that a doctor made a mistake; there are several factors that go into a successful court case.
If you believe that you have been harmed at the hands of a medical professional, contact our offices. We will explain the ins and outs of medical malpractice to you and review the details of your case at no charge. Call us now and let us help you as you begin to put the pieces of your life back together. We are here for you.