The birth of a baby is an amazing event filled with joy and excitement. Fortunately for most parents, deliveries go as planned and babies are born healthy. In other cases, however, complications arise and a baby suffers permanent injury or damage. One of the most important decisions an expectant mother can make is who will deliver her baby. Choosing an obstetrician is not something that should be taken lightly. here is how to choose the best one for your pregnancy and delivery.
Any obstetrician you are considering should be interviewed. You can compare answers to determine who will be the best for you and your unborn child. Some of the questions to ask are:
- How long have you been practicing?
- How many babies have you delivered?
- How will you monitor my baby during delivery?
- Do you have skill at interpreting fetal heart rate tracings?
- If not, will someone who is skilled be present during my labor and delivery?
- If my baby shows signs of distress, how will delivery be handled?
- Will there be two physicians should my baby and I both experience distress?
- What are the risks and benefits the various drugs used during labor and delivery?
- What are the benefits and risks to C-section?
These are all questions that you have a right to ask of any doctor who will be handling your labor and delivery. It is not to say that the right answers will ensure a safe delivery, but knowing that you can trust your doctor should complications arise should make your more comfortable.
If you believe that your child has been permanently injured due to negligence during the birthing process, please call our offices. A member of our team will review the details of your case and advise you how to proceed. Call now or browse our website for more information about our firm.